Sunday, January 6, 2013

Wake up and performance between Windows 8 and Linux Mint 14.1

After using the Windows 8 system for a while yesterday, which most of the use was on the secondary laptop using Linux Mint 14.1, I just closed the lid of the laptop to put it to sleep.  I did the same on the secondary Linux system.  This is how I normally put the laptops to sleep when I am not using them.  Each time I open the lid to the laptop on the secondary laptop, it takes a few seconds for Linux Mint 14.1 to load the desktop and connect back to the wireless network.  Now when I open the lid to the laptop that run Windows 8 Pro x64, I see Windows resuming and a black screen for about a minute before the ugly Windows Tiles load.  I click on the Desktop mode and wait for Windows 8 to load the rest of the way.  This usually takes up to two minutes or longer before the system is actually usable.  If you run any programs in Windows 8 during the time it is still loading, either the program will not even run or takes a very long time for the program to open.

Linux Mint 14.1 seems to run better on a slower laptop when the Windows 8 is a much faster laptop.  The Linux Mint 14.1 laptop is an Intel i3 processor, 2.3GHz, 8GB DDR-3 memory, and 500GB SATA hard drive.  The ASUS laptop that Windows 8 Pro x64 is running uses an Intel i5 processor, 3.0GHz, 8GB DDR-3 memory, and a 750GB SATA hard drive.  Linux Mint 14.1 runs fast and performs better on the Intel i3 system versus Windows 8 Pro x64 running on a faster laptop.  This shows how much slower Windows runs compared to Linux.

I have LibreOffice 3.6.4 installed in Windows 8 Pro x64 and LibreOffice 3.6.3 on Linux Mint 14.1.  If I just open LibreOffice itself where I can choose if I want to open Writer, Calc, etc., LibreOffice opens much faster in Linux Mint 14.1 (on the Intel i3 system) when compared to Windows 8 Pro x64 (on the Intel i5 system).  I do have Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Student Edition installed in Windows 8.  Due to incompatibility messages that show up in Windows 8 with Office 2010, I rely more on LibreOffice 3.6.x.  There is nothing that I do that requires me to have Office 2010.  It had been purchased a couple of years ago for my wife to make sure the documents remained compatible.  Even with using LibreOffice, all Microsoft created and maintained documents remains in Office format with no compatibilities.  Thus there is no reason to even purchase Office 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment