Friday, January 4, 2013

Windows 8 wireless problems are not HARDWARE

On my ASUS laptop running Windows 8 Pro x64 with 8GB DDR-3 memory and 750GB SATA hard drive, I continue to experience wireless connectivity issues when all other computers (laptops) remain connected to the same wireless network with Internet activity.  All laptops (Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP, and Linux Mint 14.1) all obtain valid IP addresses from the LinkSys E1200 router.  After Windows 8 lost all wireless network activity when the laptop's wireless light indicator showed wireless enabled (the wireless light it on), the wireless manager in Windows 8 indicated no wireless cards existed on the laptop.  When I opened Device Manager in Windows 8, it showed the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 wireless card configured and functioning properly.  I uninstalled and re-installed the wireless network card, including restarting Windows 8, and this made no difference.  Since the laptop would not connect to the wireless, as Windows 8 did not recognize the wireless network card in the laptop, I used my secondary laptop running Linux Mint 14.1.  I checked the Windows 7 laptop and it had wireless Internet connectivity.

I purchased the Mini PCIe half-card Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 wireless network card for the laptop.  I wanted to see if after switching routerMini PCIe half-card Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 wireless network cards (I have three routers available, Windows 8 wireless network problem existed) and doing the numerous tedious tasks that one would attempt without defeating a Windows 8 wireless bug, all those tasks never corrected the wireless problem.  I figured I would try replacing the install Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 Mini PCIe half-card wireless card in the laptop to see if it would make a difference.

After installing the Mini PCIe half-card Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 wireless network card in the Windows 8 Pro x64 laptop, which Windows 8 automatically configured the wireless network card with the latest driver, the same wireless issues occurred again.

As I have heard from the brain-dead-canned Microsoft Support along with others, THIS PROBLEM IS NOT HARDWARE!  I have spent numerous hours and now hardware cost involved just to make sure Windows 8 has a wireless bug.  There are a few news articles on this same problem that affects Windows RT tablets.  Yet, Microsoft has never stated anything about fixing this nuisance bug.

Fortunately with using a laptop, I have an Ethernet connection to use to gain LAN and Internet access.  On a tablet with Windows RT, you only have wireless access (I believe).  Since I do not have or work with a Windows RT tablet yet, I am not one-hundred percent sure.

The more problems that occur in Windows 8, the more I use and rely on Linux Mint 14.1.

No comments:

Post a Comment